taytyme

Monday, January 15, 2007

“Taytyme, what the hell’s been going on?” My thoughts exactly, were I you. Damn if I haven’t been busy on the beaver, so to speak. Lemme tell ya: I thought it would be cool to make 2007 the Year of Employment, but with the way its been cutting into my Taytyming, I’m considering reconsidering.

Late this past Friday night it was taytyme over at Chris “there is no such thing as last call” Crofton’s house for beer, Fugazi, Billy Joel, Winger, and Paul Anka. No, not the Paul Anka from MASH. The other one. I bring it up not to brag, but as a way to introduce the following diary entry, dated December 22. Enjoy!

Don’t you love the days before you go out of town even better than the trip you take, when you get drunk with everyone you know individually because you won’t see them again for like SEVEN DAYS? After a week of such goodbyes that culminated in chance encounters with representatives of the Features (who, sorry?) and Lake Fever Productions and the daughter of a woman who used to date the father of Eric from Spider Virus (pause for breath), Tay fell asleep in his car and then found himself on an airplane to New York City with one Mr. Chris Crofton. The plane trip was planned, but the Chris Crofton part was pure rock and roll coincidence. He saw me first and said, “Taytyme? Guess there’s no music happening in Nashville this weekend. Not any worth a damn, anyway. The Spin’s gonna be EMPTY next week.” Upon our arrival at JFK, he introduced me to a strange little man he referred to as his “father.” The guy looked at Chris’s guitar case and asked me if Chris was any good. I told him that Chris was funny, but couldn’t play guitar for shit. He said that that wasn’t surprising, because in his words, “he never could.”

Later on while waiting for an elevator to the Airtrain, Chris was telling me about his vacation plans. “I’ll spend a few days in the city and then head up to Connecticut for Christmas,” he said.

“Do you have family there?” I asked.

“Yeah, that’s where my mom and dad live. That’s why my dad was here at the airport to pick up my brother.”

“Wait, that was really your dad?” I asked.

He said, “Yeah, why?”

“I totally thought you were fucking with me. I thought some insane old hobo just started talking to you.”

Just then, the doors of the elevator opened up and spilled like fifteen elementary school boys wearing yarmulkes into the hallway. Chris turned to me and said, “Looks like I picked the wrong week to start hating Jews.”

6 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, Blogger taytyme said...

Later on the subway, Mr. Crofton regaled me with the story of how he’d been taking it easy on the hooch for a few weeks and looked better than he had in years, but by time his mom saw him two days later he was guaranteed to, in his mom’s words, “look like shit, like always.”

 
At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Taytyme, I can't tell if you're gayer for Chris Crofton or Dean Bratcher. What's it with you and the pushin' 40 crowd?

 
At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I refuse to believe that Chris Crofton has parents. In our Alabama history books (circa 4th grade)...it was written that he spontaneously generated out of the Hudson River...and was raised by a cadre of abandoned exotic birds.

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger taytyme said...

...with brilliant but sparse firey orange plumage.

 
At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you're not gay 'cause beaver wants another dip in the river

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger taytyme said...

I've absolutely no idea what that means.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home